Let others know more about your images by using Safety Levels and Content Type.
Flickr is a global community made up of many different kinds of people. What's OK in your back yard may not be OK in theirs. Each one of us bears the responsibility of categorizing our own content within this landscape. So, we've introduced some filters to help everyone try to get along. In order for these filters to work, we're relying on you to filter your content appropriately.
There are 2 types of filters that you need to use for your content- Safety Level & Content Type.
Note: Effective May 1, 2022, Free accounts will be limited to posting Safe content only. Members interested in uploading Moderate or Restricted content will need to upgrade to Pro.
The following is a general guide to Safety Levels:
- Safe - Acceptable to a global, public audience. Think of what would be appropriate for children or your grandma.
- Moderate - Partial nudity, like bare breasts and bottoms. This would include areolas, nipples, thongs, nipple covers/pasties, or see through topless nudity.
- Restricted - Full-frontal nudity and sexual acts. This would include genitalia, pubic hair, full-frontal nudity, imagery depicting/insinuating sexual activity, gore, graphic violence, and adult themes (Photos only – videos cannot contain restricted content and are deleted if reported.)
- Photos / Videos
- Illustration/Art / Animation/CGI or other non-photographic images, or
- Screencasts / Screenshots - what's a screenshot
When you upload content to Flickr, you need to choose where it "fits" in these 2 categories. For example, if you want to upload a screenshot of a web page or an online game, you can, but you need to flag it as a screenshot.
Putting your content into these categories means that everyone can then apply filters to searches they do to make sure they're seeing what they want to see.
Note: If your login ID is based in Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Taiwan or with Maktoob.com you will only be able to view safe content based on your local Terms of Service (this means you won’t be able to turn SafeSearch off). If your login ID is based in Germany or Romania you are not able to view restricted content due to your local Terms of Service.
Main links to get setup
- Set your Safety Level & Content Type defaults
- Set your SafeSearch preference (This does not apply if your login ID is based in Singapore, Hong Kong, India or with Maktoob.com. If your login ID is based in Germany or Romania, you can choose to see safe or moderate content.)
- Bonus: Opt out of having your photos turn up in searches