Let others know more about your images by using Safety Levels and Content Type.
Flickr is a global community made up of many different kinds of people. What's OK in your back yard may not be OK in theirs. Each one of us bears the responsibility of categorizing our own content within this landscape. So, we've introduced some filters to help everyone try to get along. In order for these filters to work, we're relying on *you* to filter your content appropriately.
There are 2 types of filters that you need to use for your content.
- Safe - Content suitable for a global, public audience
- Moderate - If you're not sure whether your content is suitable for a global, public audience but you think that it doesn't need to be restricted per se, this category is for you
- Restricted - This is content you probably wouldn't show to your mum, and definitely shouldn't be seen by kids
A good rule of thumb is, bare breasts and bottoms are "moderate." Full frontal nudity is "restricted."
- Photos / Videos
- Illustration/Art / Animation/CGI or other non-photographic images, or
- Screencasts / Screenshots - what's a screenshot
When you upload content to Flickr, you need to choose where it "fits" in these 2 categories. For example, if you want to upload a screenshot of a web page or an online game, you can, but you need to flag it as a screenshot.
Putting your content into these categories means that everyone can then apply filters to searches they do to make sure they're seeing what they want to see.
Note: If your login ID is based in Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Taiwan or with Maktoob.com you will only be able to view safe content based on your local Terms of Service (this means you won’t be able to turn SafeSearch off). If your login ID is based in Germany or Romania you are not able to view restricted content due to your local Terms of Service.
Main links to get setup
- Set your Safety Level & Content Type defaults
- Set your SafeSearch preference (This does not apply if your login ID is based in Singapore, Hong Kong, India or with Maktoob.com. If your login ID is based in Germany or Romania, you can choose to see safe or moderate content.)
- Bonus: Opt out of having your photos turn up in searches